Updated: Feb 27, 2019
When asked how LiveFree Natural Home and Body Care became a business, we always start with a smirk, a giggle, and a “Weeeelll…” Honestly our beginnings were kind of peculiar.
On an evening that would change our lives, my husband and I settled in for a romantic evening of Netflix documentaries (proud nerds we are) and stumbled upon one about household chemicals. By the end of our evening we were convinced that our entire lives were ending and everything we knew about life was wrong. I mean seriously! Everything we had in our homes was discussed in the film, and we knew we had to make some changes. I mean, I’ve always believed that the natural way was the best. Both my husband and I were raised by parents who were quicker to grab herbs to heal a sickness than mainstream meds, but none of this stopped me from buying the fruity lotions, deodorants with the stereotypical “Aroma of Man” for my husband, or perfumes that would leave a trail of floral goodness behind for myself. What we didn’t know was how deep this “holistic health” rabbit hole could go. What started out as two newlyweds trying to save a little money by canceling their cable and watching Netflix documentaries, led to several years of research, relationships, and eventually a business.
Now, on the subject of Wellness, there are so many topics that can be addressed. Afterall, living a healthy, natural lifestyle is a journey that never ends. You can literally learn something new everyday and still not be aware of everything there is to know about how to reduce your toxic burden. When my husband and I began our journey, we knew we wanted to rid our home of all of the toxic products we had been using over almost all of our lives. That would be easy, right? Heck no! In fact, it can be a very time consuming and expensive ordeal. On the bright side though, while we’re learning and growing through this process, there was a change happening in us; A shifting of our worldview. A paradigm shift.
When my husband and I first began our natural lifestyle journey, we sold out immediately. For him, all it really took was for him to understand that fragrance causes men to produce too much estrogen and he tossed a whole six pack of Old Spice Deodorant, never to be seen again. For me, it was knowing that all my peachy, cucumber melon, fruity yum-yum lotion and perfume collection were increasing my risks of developing estrogen-based cancers and could possibly affect my fertility. It was a harsh reality for us to face the fact that almost everything we had been using on our bodies and in our home for YEARS was causing us harm. While there were several harsh realities that we had to come to terms with over the years, I’ll share a few that I think will get you over the initial hump of “Going Natural:”
Being Healthy Costs a Little More
Let’s just go ahead and get this one out of the way. Being healthy costs more! Sometimes significantly, but it’s totally worth it! I try to be a good steward of the finances we’ve been blessed with, so when presented with a Buy 3 Get 3 Free sale at the “smell good” mall store, you already know which way I’m going. But knowing that these products contain chemicals that can alter my life, and the life of my children causes me to think twice about where and how I choose to spend our money. Most natural ingredients are plant based from non-genetically modified seed. They aren’t sprayed with pesticides (or are sprayed with organic pesticides), and are harvested and processed differently than conventional ingredients. Even to receive an Organic Certification costs manufacturers thousands of dollars, which is inevitably passed on to the customer. Natural Oils, butters, essential oils, etc. are just expensive to make. So in this case, you really do get what you pay for.
I know this sounds like conspiracy theory, but I promise you it’s the truth! Question EVERYTHING! Read every label! Do the research! Read peer reviewed studies, medical journals, and by golly, read books! All of my friends know that when presented with anything, my first question is usually “What’s in It?” I’m sure they despise this LOL, but I must know. I must question everything that goes in, on, or around my body or in my home. I don’t take anything at face value. I must read the ingredients, learn the process, and question the establishment. I’m not paranoid or anything, but I’ve learned to trust my discernment even if I don’t’ have all of the facts up front. When the Lord shows me that something’s up, I trust Him, even if it seems a little “tin foil hat” at the time.
I Am In Charge of My Health
God is my protector and gives me wisdom on how to live. He guides me to reputable information and people who can help me to keep myself, and my family healthy. With all the information available, I am fully capable and responsible for valuing and being a good steward of my temple. Doctors, The FDA, and CDC, etc. are great resources, but at the end of the day, my body was given to me by the Lord and I will be held accountable for its care. The decisions I make today can affect my family and I for the rest of our lives, so I must choose wisely.
So have you sold out to living a healthy natural lifestyle yet, or are you still struggling with letting go of your favorite carcinogens (That’s harsh, I know)? Well it’s time to let those things go and let your body breath, detox, and be refreshed by the healing properties of natural foods and products. Its time to LiveFree of these harmful chemicals and lessen the toxic burden you’re placing on your body. Let me know if you need any help. (insert kissy face)
Rochelle C. is a homeschool mom from Los Angeles. After teaching high school and college for 7 years, she traded in her red pen for a baby rattle and joyfully embarked upon a new career as a stay at home mom. When she’s not changing diapers, Rochelle works with her husband in the family business. Together they own LiveFree Natural Home & Body Care, a Health & Wellness company that specializes in formulating all natural home and body care products as well as teaching classes in their community on the dangers of harmful chemicals in everyday personal care products.